12 March, 2014

2nd Sun Lent 2014


Dear Friend,

Though we like novelty and want to see changes around us, yet basically we are traditional and prefer to go on the way we always did. Yet, life is full of changes. Sometimes we wish we would change but often we do not believe that we can change. We give a lot of reasons why we cannot change and so we never change. Lent is about transformations made possible by faith. May His Word challenge and transform us.  With His Spirit have a transfiguring Lent weekend! –Fr. Jude

Sunday Reflections: Second Sunday of Lent    Called to be transformed …. 16-Mar-2014 

In the first reading from the Book of Genesis we have the inspiring story of the call of Abraham. At the age of seventy-five, when most aged people have  retired or are written off, Abraham sets out on a journey of faith, moving from the familiar, secure and well-ordered routine in his native place to an unknown destination, literally to ‘God knows where’!  All he can rely on is the promise of God. In obedience to God’s call he sets off.  Abraham is blessed and in turn becomes a blessing to his people. It is never too late to change, to respond to God’s call.
 
Transformed by love
“Picture an old lamp covered with layers of dust and dirt. How wretched and useless it looks. Then someone comes along, cleans off the layers of dirt, and polishes it until it begins to sparkle, and then lights it. Suddenly the lamp is transformed. It positively glows, radiating light and beauty to every corner of the room. Whereas prior to this it was disfigured with dust and dirt, now it is transfigured with beauty by the light. Yet, it is the same lamp. When an object (or a person) is loved and cared for, it is redeemed, and rendered brighter and worthier.”
Flor McCarthy in “New Sundays and Holy Day Liturgies”

Today’s gospel reminds us, first of all, that transformations take place in the context of prayer. Jesus led his disciples up a high mountain, where they could be alone. The mountain, in the Israelite tradition, symbolized the meeting place with God. Moses had witnessed Yahweh on the mountain and each time he encountered Him his face glowed with the presence of God. Jesus was transfigured in their presence and ‘his face shone like the sun and his clothes became as white as light.’ Secondly, Jesus appears transfigured in the context of his relationship with his Father, symbolized by the presence of the cloud and the heavenly voice. The cloud symbolized Yahweh, who in the form of a cloud accompanied the Israelites as they journeyed through the desert to the Promise Land. Thirdly, this transfiguration is not only a blessing and an affirmation for Jesus, proclaimed by the voice from heaven, “This is my Son, the beloved; He enjoys my favour. Listen to him”, but it is also a blessing for the three disciples, who are witnesses of the transfiguration. They have a privileged viewpoint on salvation history as they witness Jesus in conversation with the father-figures of the Law and the prophets, Moses and Elijah.  This vision will reassure them when they hear other voices later opposing Jesus, rejecting his mission, and seeking to destroy him.   The transfiguration would be only for a moment. But Peter wanted to capture it and prolong it and make it permanent by building tents or tabernacles to contain this experience. We too want the good experiences, the peak moments of life to last forever. We are afraid to let go and move on, we want to be in the past rather than move on to where the Lord wants us to go. But the reality is that we have to come down from the mountain.” Our transfiguration can happen in the strangest of ways when we let Jesus into our lives.

Transfiguration
Van Gogh was not noted for his physical beauty. In fact his face was described by some as being repulsive. Yet as soon as he began to speak about art, his melancholy expression would disappear, his eyes would sparkle, and his features would make a deep impression on those around him. It wasn’t his face any longer; it had become beautiful. It seemed he was breathing in beauty.  At times all of us can feel down and depressed, a prey to feelings of failure and worthlessness. But then suddenly something nice happens to us – a friend calls, or we get a letter with some good news in it – and suddenly everything is changed. The truth of course is that nothing has changed. It is just that a spark of joy or hope or love has been kindled in our hearts, and we suddenly see ourselves in a new and better light.
Flor McCarthy in ‘New Sunday & Holy Day Liturgies’

Transfiguration –A change of attitudes?
Rabbi Abraham Twersky tells a story about his great-grandfather who was sitting with other rabbinical scholars studying the Talmud when it was decided to take a break for refreshments. One of the groups offered to pay for refreshments, but there was no one who volunteered to go for them. According to Twersky, in his book Generation to Generation, his great-grandfather said, “Just hand me the money, I have a young boy who will be glad to go.” After a rather extended period, he finally returned with the refreshments, and it became obvious to all that the rabbi himself had gone and performed the errand. Noticing their discomfort, the rabbi explained: “I didn’t mislead you at all. You see, many people outgrow their youth and become old men. I have never let the spirit of my youth depart. And as I grew older, I always took along with me that young boy I had been. It was that young boy in me that did the errand.” –Our transformation, our transfiguration begins in our change of attitude.
Gerard Fuller in ‘Stories for all Seasons’

Finding God on the mountain?
The 17th century English poet, John Donne, tells of a man searching for God. He is convinced that God lives on the top of a mountain at the end of the earth. After a journey of many days, the man arrives at the foot of the mountain and begins to climb it. At the same time God says to the angels: “What can I do to show my people how much I love them?” He decides to descend the mountain and live among the people as one of them. As the man is going up one side of the mountain, God is descending the other side. They don’t see each other because they are on opposite sides of the mountain. On reaching the summit, the man discovers an empty mountaintop. Heartbroken, the man concludes that God does not exist. Despite speculation to the contrary, God does not live on mountaintops, deserts, or at the end of the earth, or even in some heaven, - God dwells among human beings and in the person of Jesus. – Staying on the safety of the mountain is what Peter would prefer. During the transfiguration Peter and his companions got a glimpse of the future glory of Jesus’ resurrection. They want nothing more. However after they come down the mountain they are told by Jesus that the glory they witnessed would be real only after he had gone through suffering and death. We too will share in his glory, only by sharing in his suffering and death.
Simon K. in ‘The Sunday Liturgy’

Healing Solitude
One Sunday morning in summer when I was twelve, I was waiting for my friend Juanita to come over. We had planned a morning together and she was quite late. I was fretting and complaining and generally making a nuisance of myself. In fact I was becoming rather obnoxious to everyone else in the house. Finally, my father said to me, “Get a book, a blanket and an apple, and get into the car.” I wanted to know why, but he only repeated the order. So I obeyed. My father drove me about eight miles from home to a canyon area, and said, “Now get out. We cannot stand you any longer at home. You aren’t fit to live with us. Just stay out here by yourself today until you understand better how to act. I’ll come back for you this evening.” I got out, frustrated, and defiant and angry. The nerve of him! I thought immediately of walking back home; eight miles was no distance at all for me. Then the thought of meeting my father when I got there took hold, and I changed my mind. I cried and threw the book, apple and blanket over the canyon ledge. I had been dumped and I was furious. But it is hard to keep up a good rebellion cry with no audience and so finally there was nothing to do but face up to the day alone. I sat on the rim kicking up dirt and trying to get control of myself. After a couple of hours as noon approached, I began to get hungry. I located the apple and climbed down to retrieve it- as well as the book and blanket. I climbed back up and as I came over the top I noticed a tree. It was lovely and full. As I spread the blanket and began to eat the apple, I noticed a change of attitude. As I looked through the branches into the sky, a great sense of peace and beauty came upon me. I began to see my behaviour in a new light. I found myself thinking of God. It began to be prayer time; I wanted to be a better person. I just lay there in silence. By the time my father returned I was restored. I was different and he knew it.
William Bausch

May the reassurance of His transfiguration and our own encourage us to move on!

Fr. Jude Botelho

PS. The stories, incidents and anecdotes used in the reflections have been collected over the years from books as well as from sources over the net and from e-mails received. Every effort is made to acknowledge authors whenever possible. If you send in stories or illustrations I would be grateful if you could quote the source as well so that they can be acknowledged if used in these reflections.
These reflections are also available on my Web site www.NetForLife.net Thank you.

No comments:

map search